We get it, dating can be difficult – everybody who has gone through it knows this, and we all know that sometimes this means disasters can happen. To help people who are completely new to dating, we have compiled a short list of do’s and don’ts to help them out. This list is not comprehensive, but it should get anybody who is starting out, off to a good start.
- Work on your writing – an online profile is the first time anybody can come into contact with the ‘real you’ so make sure that their experience is a good one. Make sure to practice your writing so that any spelling and grammar mistakes are kept to a minimum, because a lot of people are turned off by profiles which look like you didn’t put any effort into them. You don’t need to be the next great American novelist, but being able to string a sentence together is a good skill
- Make it clear that you want to take things to the next level – by this we don’t mean sex, unless you are specifically on hook up sites to find sex – but meeting in person instead of just chatting online (or possibly talking over the phone). Ask for your date’s number – don’t be shy. They probably want to talk to you more closely as well, but just haven’t worked up the courage yet.
- Show interest – if and when you move onto physical dates and meeting in person, don’t act bored. Make sure that you at least appear interested in what is being said (unless it is offensive or hurtful, for example), so that your date doesn’t feel like he or she is being taken advantage of.
- Send overtly sexual messages right away – again this is something which might be different if you are on a site which caters specifically for hook ups, but even then you might want to hold off for a while. Keep your messages low-key and clean, sticking to more impersonal conversations. The discussions about sex, the flirtation; all of that can come later.
- Be late – it is the most basic form of politeness in the world to be on time. Show respect for your date, for the date itself, and for yourself by showing up on time. If you don’t do this, or if you do without an adequate excuse, your date might correctly assume that you just aren’t interested, and act accordingly. If you want a first date to turn into a second one, please be on time.
- Post pictures which are clearly for your ego – these pictures include flexing poses, most gym selfies, shirtless photos, and probably hundreds more. Post a few simple photos of you in various locations, showing your face and your upper torso (maybe with one or two full length photos for good measure), and without anything like sunglasses or hats. This will let people get a good look at you and your interests.